Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Purpose of Life - Purpose of Education

It will be my first year anniversary for my soul-searching journey on 6th of July 2008. Wow... ... I cannot explain to you how much I have gained after quiting my 8-to-5:30 job as a school psychologist in Singapore. Please don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with being a professional in Singapore; it is simply my new journey to look for the purpose of my own life.

Many have been asking me the same question why I look for so much trouble to establish a brand new education concept company from scratch instead of working in a well-established school system or getting a franchise. The simple and most straight forward answer is "That's me!" I feel and believe that I can contribute more in an alternative way, so I follow my heart instead of my brain. After reflecting my past few years teaching experiences and stepping out the system to re-look at the existing education, I have come to my own conclusions and viewpoints about education.

Have you ever taken a few seconds or minutes to think what education is all about? Shamefully, I didn't spend much time thinking about this issue while busily working in the school in the past few years. I had to admit that I failed to see the big picture of education but focused on the detailed nitty gritty of teaching. I only came to think about this important issue after I stepped out from the system. After months and months searching for answers, I realized that the aim of education is to inspire our children or ourselves to learn how to learn! Yup, it is "learn how to learn". . . . . . Education is not simply a method or teaching the skills, subjects or any topics rather it is an attitude toward your own life and the environment. Many of us were lost or are still lost without a clear direction of what we really want to provide for our children.

Are your kid stress about getting the right answers for his/her exam?
How many tuition lessons and/or enrichment centers that you sent your kid to?
Does your kid have enough time to play meaningfully?
When was your last time bringing your kid to explore the nature?
How much quality time you spend with your kid everyday?
What does your kid want to be instead of what you want him/her to be in the future?
Does your kid experience challenging moments that require him/her to problem solve, be persevered, creative and so on?

It is time to let our children be themselves instead of stressing them to master various economical-driven talents and learning methods. If learning becomes an attitude of living, children will learn more happily and spontaneously.

No comments: